Monday, September 19, 2011

Taiwan(Taipei), Day 4: Taipei 101, Ximen Red House, LongShan Temple

Before Jackie and I went for our NAZA photoshoot selection on Day 4, we followed the Taiwan travel book to Longshan Temple.

How popular it is you asked?
The name of the nearest train station is named after it!

Longshan train station is only a stop away from Ximen station.

More than a few hundred years old, Longshan Temple survived the 2nd world war & other natural disasters. In 1985, it is preserved as one of Taiwan's historical heritage, with thousands of devotees coming to offer their prayers.

IMG_0744

Most shops in Taiwan open only after 11am. It was about 9am when I took this photograph of the underground passage way to Longshan temple. Not much shopping to do yet.

IMG_0745

IMG_0763

IMG_0762

The grand entrance of Longshan temple:
IMG_0746

IMG_0748

IMG_0749

IMG_0760

IMG_0751

IMG_0752

IMG_0754

IMG_0757

We spent about 2 hours there and head back to Ximen where NAZA Bridal shop is.
Oh man,we were STILL 2 hours early!

Located close to NAZA Bridal Boutique, Ximen Red House is another popular tourist attraction finished in 1908. Shaped like an octagon, it was used as a  trading centre and then movie theatre. In 2002, the government converted the red house into an arts house where arts exhibits are frequently held. There is also a cafe, art studio, 2 boutiques where you can find unique artistic items for sale as well as weekend flea markets.

IMG_0790

IMG_0770

IMG_0771
Wish cards written by customers at the cafe. Love the one written by Joy. She hopes to marry herself off soon.

IMG_0773
Typo error on the explanatory board: Double 'fruits'. Will I get a prize for spotting it?

Stalls at the weekend flea market where owners sell really exclusive handmade products! Notepads, bags, wallets, pet accessories etc.

IMG_0775

I bought one of these! It's a wallet made of washable paper. The kind of paper material which you use to make jean labels. The white label is written by some kind of liquid paper, I reckoned.

IMG_0776


IMG_0778

IMG_0779

In Taiwan, dogs are allowed everywhere!

Their owners dress their dogs up and bring them out for unleashed walks. Their pets are also allowed in trains & shopping malls except that they have to be put in pet carriers. Also, I do realize that these dogs are tamed, good-natured and obedient. You know how some dogs here in Singapore can be so unpleasant and nasty. Have you ever wondered if it is because we have to close them in the house for too long at times?

In Taiwan, the dogs are so obedient that they will follow their pet owners at all times and wait patiently outside the shop entrances should they be asked to. *so sweet*

IMG_0782

I'm in love with this black teacup poodle!
IMG_0783

IMG_0786

IMG_0787

IMG_0927

When it's finally time for our photo selection, NAZA treated us to the famous Taiwan delicacy- Ah Zhong Mee Sua. Jackie and I took half a day to choose the desired photographs, will you believe it!

What to do when we could only choose 75 photos out of 600 over photographs. We would definitely love to have them all!

IMG_0791

IMG_0794

IMG_0795

One word: YUMMY!

IMG_0797

Phototaking with my new friends made at NAZA:

IMG_0812
My photoshoot stylist: Xiao Zhu! (Oh, I really wish I can fly her here to do my make-up and hair for my wedding!)

IMG_0814
My photoshoot coordinator: Kai Yun. Really sweet & meticulous.

IMG_0815
Sherry Jie, the boss in the house! Some of the bridal dresses are designed by her.

IMG_0816
My photoshoot secretary, Jia Ru. She sees through the selection of my gowns, helps me try them on in the changing room, discuss the photoshoot procedures with me.

IMG_0819

That evening after the photo selection, Jackie and I went to Taipei 101 to enjoy the breath-taking Taipei night scenery. Taipei City Hall station is ALSO one stop away from Ximen station. From Taipei City Hall train station, you can take a 10-minute walk to Taipei 101.

Although there's a shuttle bus from the station,  I thought this 10-minute is quite worthy to take as you can sieze this opportunity to enjoy performances by buskers, buy little souvenirs along the way to your destination.

Also, if I hadn't chosen the walking route, I wouldn't have spotted the Burberry 50% sale and bought my FIRST designer bag! *YEAH*

Thank you, Mr Jackie Goh! :)

IMG_0820

IMG_0822

IMG_0823

Taipei 101 spotted from afar. As the name suggest, Taipei 101 comprises of 101 floors above ground and 5 floors underground.


IMG_0825

IMG_0836

IMG_0839

IMG_0840

IMG_0841

IMG_0843

IMG_0844

IMG_0868
I'm having ice-cream!

IMG_0845

IMG_0847

IMG_0848
Unselfishly sharing fun facts of attractions from other countries.

The legendary Elevator babe serving us in the Guiness record breaking elevator! Wasn't able to take a picture of her because there were too many people in the lift. I'll look super Suaku too!

IMG_0850

IMG_0864

Walking up to the observatory level:

IMG_0888

IMG_0891

The night scenery! I spotted an enormous Ferris wheel from afar and told Jackie I wished I can take that Ferris Wheel ride.

Check out the picturesque!

IMG_0851

IMG_0857

IMG_0860

There are directory boards to pointing to us the different buildings and landscape found in Taipei. Sadly, some were too dark to spot out. I'm going to choose a late afternoon to go to the next time round.

IMG_0863

IMG_0870

IMG_0875

IMG_0876

IMG_0886

IMG_0887

Do you know that this yellow sphere below is known as a tuned mass damper?

IMG_0878

IMG_0892

It is a 660-tonne steel pendulum which serves as a skyscraper stabiliser to offset any movements caused by the blowing of strong winds. This pendulum is supported by 41 steel plates, suspended from the 92nd storey to the 88th storey, a spectacular sight indeed.

All skyscrapers need a tuned mass damper to keep the tall building safe from swaying. The one at Taipei 101 is one of the biggest; a million-dollar project! In year2002, an earthquake striked and the tremor caused two construction cranes to topple on the 56th floor. 5 people died from this accident yet, this iconic skyscraper survived the earthquake!

IMG_0900

IMG_0901

IMG_0903

IMG_0907

IMG_0909

This candy stall(Blow Candy, direct mandarin translation) caught my attention. the uncle attached some gluey candy to a satay stick, gave it a few knocks with his tools, and then blow up the gluey stuff into shapes of different animals!

IMG_0910

IMG_0911
Spotted a dolphin!

IMG_0913

IMG_0916

****Scream****
The Burberry boutique!!!

IMG_0926

IMG_0922

IMG_0918


And this marks the end of my Day 4 in Taipei.
I'll be blogging up Day 5 soon- A day in Taipei Zoo!

And if you like to check out my other travelogues, scroll up to find 'Mint Travelogue' column on the right.


Travelogue


Mint's Twitter: MintLeong.
Have you followed me yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment