Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gourmet Food Trail周末趴趴吃 (Episode 4/5)- Rendezvous Hotel & Ah Yat Seafood Restaurant

I ate to my heart's content at the Gourmet Food Trail(周末趴趴吃) with Ah Lun(阿伦) organised by LianHe Wanbao(联合晚报) & Omy.sg.

For 5 weekends, participants from the program will gather and travel around Singapore to try dishes hand-picked by the man himself--LianHe Wanbao's veterian food critic, Ah Lun.

There'll be 2 makan venues to visit every weekend.

Along the food trail, it is common to use the word, 'WOA!'.
The term 'WOA!' means dishes which will surprise and satisfy your taste buds to its max. And for this trail which I attended, Ah Lun has chosen those which are truly enough to 'WOA!' mine!

Without further or do, let the 'WOA!' food trail begins!

周末趴趴吃

IMG_3338



IMG_3334

IMG_3336


IMG_3339


Pardon me for the mandarin dish names. It was directly translated from the English.

Dish 1: Kampong Chicken Soup - 甘榜鸡汤(Very Sweet!)
Dish 2: Winter melon cod fish -冬瓜鳕鱼 (calming)
Dish 3: Marmite Chicken & Mango sprinkled with chopped cashew nuts - MARMITE 芒果,腰豆鸡 (daring but turns out refreshing mix!)

IMG_3342

IMG_3340

IMG_3343


Take a break.
Ah De(one of the hosts) announce to play games with the participants. Yongwei was selected to play 'Simon Says' with 2 other participants and he won the game!

IMG_3344

IMG_3347
Alvin demonstrating how to play the game.


IMG_3350
Enough of Yongwei.

Let's continue with the food feast.


Dish 4: Red Rice Wine Rib -红醩排骨 (Meat so tender I finished it all)
Dish 5: Rendezvous Signature Nonya Laksa -娘惹 Laksa (WOA!)

IMG_3353

IMG_3356

IMG_3357

IMG_3361

IMG_3367

The chilli sauce was so tasty(Nasi Lemak Sambal Style), Yongwei took 3 saucers!

IMG_3363

IMG_3364

My favourite about this laksa is because there's a quail egg!
And it's rich Laksa sauce of course!

IMG_3370

Dish 6: Sea Cucumber Tofu- 海底椰豆腐
Dish 7: Durian Cake- 榴莲蛋糕 ( WOA!!!)

IMG_3372

IMG_3373

IMG_3374

Even the whipped cream is made with durian! The cake is filled with durian custard and you'll be able to taste the flesh of the durian in pulps. WOA WOA WOA!!!

IMG_3375

IMG_3380

IMG_3381

IMG_3379


Transiting to our next makan venue: Bukit Timah Turf City.


IMG_3383
Left to right: Alfred(from APB), Yongwei and I


IMG_3384
A super rare 'normal' photo Yongwei and I took together onboard the shuttle bus.


IMG_3386


周末趴趴吃

IMG_3388

IMG_3393

Master Luo(骆师傅) , the chef of Ah Yah Seafood Restaurant who prepared our banquet. He speaks in Cantonese but understands Mandarin very well.

IMG_3405

The participants can't wait to try the dishes already!

IMG_3407

I cannot decide;
Every dish I ate I went 'WOA!'.

This food trail is really so well-worth! No wonder I heard so from some of my family members that they had joined but weren't chosen due to overwhelming response.


Dish 1: Jinhua Ham Shark Fin Soup 金华火腿鱼翅汤
Dish 2: Jinhua Ham with Grouper Fish & mushroom 金华火腿香菇鱖鱼
Dish 3: Duck meat wrapped in Yam & mango 芋头芒果鸭肉
IMG_3394

This grouper fish on every table is being sliced and de-boned. So meticulously prepared-- every slice of fish meat is accompanied with a slice of meat & a piece of mushroom, arranged into perfection. This was how sincere Master Luo is when he is preparing the dishes for us.


IMG_3396

IMG_3398

IMG_3399

IMG_3401

IMG_3411

IMG_3409
Yongwei took the entire plate of fish, including the fish head! But he left the flesh of its cheeks for me, which is known to be the most tender part of the fish! Aww....


IMG_3416

IMG_3419

IMG_3420
Notice the mango and the duck meat wrapped in Yam? Yummy!

We took a break and played some games with Ah De again-- Guess who drank the sour drink?

The 3 contestants on stage has to pretend to be drinking a really sour drink and audience from the floor has to guess who drank it.

IMG_3422

IMG_3423

IMG_3424

The boy acted really well he managed to convince some aunties and uncles. But anyway, it was the man in white and specs who drank the real sour drink.


Dish 4: Wanton Skin chicken soup 云吞皮鸡汤
Dish 5: Golden Coin Meat with pig liver 金钱肉搭配猪肝

IMG_3433

Master Luo demonstrating how to prepare the Wanton Skin Soup.

IMG_3435

IMG_3436

I was busy eating I didn't realize Yongwei was busy snapping candid shots of me.

IMG_3437

IMG_3439

IMG_3441


IMG_3443

IMG_3445
There are 3 layers to this dish- the golden coin meat, pig liver, and another layer of fatty meat in the centre. Finally, it is topped with prawns and asparagus. WOA!!!

I wanted to eat another plate but I didn't dare to ask.

Oh yes, we took the last break for our final game. This time round I was being pulled on stage. The contestants listening attentively to Ah De's explanation of how the game is played:

You put your hand into the box to draw ping pong balls.

If you get an orange one, you're safe.
If you get a black one for 3 times, you have to do a forfeit.
If you get the white one for 3 times, you are the winner!

IMG_3451

The staff demonstrating to the audience how the game works:
IMG_3454

IMG_3457

When I drew the white ball on my first try, I was exhilarated! Everyone cheered!

On my 2nd draw, I drew a black ball. Blame myself for not wanting to listen to Yongwei and Alfred because I thought they wanted to sabo me. I decided to trust them and managed to drew out another white ball on my 3rd try.

IMG_3459


At my last try, I ALMOST got another black ball but the audience screamed and tried to catch my attention to drop the ball. When I finally drew out the white ball, everyone cheered for me as if they're watching a soccer match! *Ole ole ole ole*

IMG_3460

Yes I won the big prize: A LianHe Wanbao hand towel, Homecoming soundtrack, notepads, a cap and a 100-English hits CD album!

IMG_3462

IMG_3463

IMG_3465

The final dish of the trail and the BEST of all: Custard layered puff with coconut & salted egg (咸蛋奶黄塔)

口水流到!!!

FYI, the chefs took more than 10hrs to prepare this dessert dish.

It is more common in Hong Kong and very few local cantonese restaurants make them due to the amount of work put into. The dish is prepared layer by layer until you reach the very top. The chef prepared it especially for this programme so you won't get to order and eat it unless you come for the food trail.

Yongwei and I gobbled ours up in 10 seconds.


IMG_3468

IMG_3470

IMG_3472


IMG_3475


IMG_3476


IMG_3477

IMG_3485

IMG_3488

=====GROUP PHOTO TIME=====

IMG_3493


“西瓜甜不甜?”

“ 甜!”

IMG_3496

We're a group of really contented, full and happy people for the day!

There are more Ah Lun food trails coming up very soon so do keep a special lookout and chop a seat for yourself!


Restaurant Details


Bras Basah Road
Singapore 189559

Open 7 days and nights a week for breakfast, lunch & dinner
7:00am to 11:00 pm (daily).

Breakfast - 7:00 am to 10:30am
Lunch - 12:00 pm to 2:30 pm
Hi-Tea - 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm (Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays only)
Dinner - 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm

Contact: 6336 0220


200 Turf Club Road
#03-01/02 Main Grandstand,
Turf City,
Singapore 287994

Contact: 6883 2112

Getting there: Click here to check out their free shuttle bus services.

Ending this post with a

'WOA!'

No comments:

Post a Comment